About VMR Gladstone
Volunteer Marine Rescue Gladstone (VMRG) was originally formed in 1971 as the Port Curtis Air Sea Rescue Association. In 1983, it was renamed, after affiliating with the governing state body, Volunteer Marine Rescue Assoc. Queensland Inc. (VMRAQ).
Annually, Volunteer Marine Rescue Gladstone is called upon to undertake an average of 120 rescue activations, covering search and rescue, breakdowns, groundings, and medical evacuations. Additionally, assistance is provided for the Brisbane to Gladstone yacht race, Boyne Tannum Hookup, some Port Curtis Sailing Club races, and Awoonga Dam events.
The VMR Gladstone operations, radio and boat buildings are located on Alf O’Rourke Drive in the heart of the Gladstone Marina Complex.
The Squadron’s area of responsibility is generally from Cape Capricorn in the north, to Bustard Head in the south, and seaward to reef islands, but limited to 50 nautical miles offshore.
We liaise with Volunteer Marine Rescue Round Hill in the south, and Coast Guard Keppel Sands / Yeppoon in the north.
The Squadron is administered by a ten-person Management Committee, six of whom are Executive Members. The Squadron currently has some 1300 financial members, approximately 125 of whom participate actively in administrative and rostered duties.
Five rostered rescue boat crews are maintained, together with five rescue coordinators, and thirty rostered Radio Operators. Active members are required to obtain a range of qualifications to complement safe Search and Rescue activities, and to maintain a high standard by regular training and assessment.
In cooperation with Gladstone Harbour Control, a 24-hour watch is effectively maintained on VHF Channels 16 and 82.
The squadron operates two Rescue vessels, ‘Gladstone 1′, a 9.8 metre Power Catamaran, outboard powered, with inflatable tender, and commercially registered for offshore duties, and ‘ Mobil 2 ‘, a 5.5 metre aluminium mono hull, outboard powered, used primarily for sheltered water and harbour duties.